French Onion Mushroom Soup
This is a very tasty soup, and you won’t even miss the gruyere cheese and baguette. If you like mushrooms, add them. Chicken broth can be substituted for beef broth. Always tastier, if you use your own home-made broth!
- ½ c. avocado oil
- 4 onions (yellow, white, or vidalia)
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 springs fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1 c. red wine
- 1½ t. black pepper
- 1½ t. sea salt
- In large pot, add avocado oil and place over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are caramelized or deep golden brown. (30-45 minutes)
- Next add bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper
- Add the wine, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated. (5-10 minutes) Let the flavors develop.
- Now add the beef broth, and bring soup to a simmer and cook another 30 minutes on low heat.
- Season to taste.