Miracles of Water
We take for granted how important water is to our bodies. Look what happens to your plant if you forget to water it. Our bodies are no different. Water is the most important healing tool and the foundation for health and wellness. Drinking adequate water every day is essential for well being.
Water transports vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, as well as oxygen and waste products in and out of our cells. Two-thirds of our body is made up of water. It detoxifies the kidney and liver, cushions and lubricates joints and organs, moves nerve impulses, improves brain function and maintains body temperature. Water is essential for building and maintaining muscle. Muscles are made up of 70% water, and if your muscles are dehydrated you will have a lack of strength and control.
Why are we dehydrated?
Despite what we know about the importance of water, it’s easy to become dehydrated. Here are a few reasons why it may happen to you:
- A faulty thirst alarm in the brain
- Dissatisfaction with the taste of water
- Exercise, which increases the amount of water lost
- Living in a dry, hot climate
- Consuming natural diuretics like caffeine and alcohol
- A reduced awareness of thirst or declining thirst, especially in the elderly
How much water do you need?
Divide your weight by 2 to find out how much water you need each day. If you weigh 150 lbs, drink 75 ounces of water or about 9 cups of water each day. Try drinking 2-3 ounces of water at one time to avoid becoming water logged. For every 20 minutes of exercise, add 8 ounces of additional water.
Best times to drink water
It may sound unmanageable to drink 8-9 cups of water each day, so try these tips:
- Jumpstart your day with a glass of water when you get up
- Drink water between meals
- When you are tired, drink more water as it stimulates the brain and improves energy levels
- Drink water before each meal as a natural appetite suppressant
- Drink water before, during, and after you exercise
- Drink when you are not thirsty
- Drink an extra amount of water to compensate for the water loss with alcohol or coffee
- If ill or have a fever “drink plenty of fluids”. Drinking more water will help wash the germs away and help remove the toxins.
Water helps you look younger by keeping your skin plump and radiant. My favorite 64 oz. water bottle, hands down is the Hydro Flask Insulated Stainless Wide Mouth Water Bottle because it is insulated stainless steel. What a great way to keep track of how much water you are drinking. If a 64 oz. bottle is too big, try the 32 oz. Hydro Flask Insulated Stainless Wide Mouth Bottle.
I like it because it is straight stainless steel, no plastic, no bpa, no liners. This is a clean metal and perfect for hiking, exercising, or traveling. It’s wide mouth opening allows you to drink or pour large amounts of liquid at once. Although it is marketed as a beer growler, most use it as a water bottle. It comes with a lifetime warranty, and 5% of your purchase goes to a charity of your choice.