Nutty Cherry Smoothie
Treat yourself to a ridiculously good smoothie. I purchase organic frozen cherries at Costco, but cherries can be found at most grocery stores in the frozen section. This smoothie provides protein for detoxification, omega-3 fatty acids from flax oil, fiber for healthy digestion and elimination, and antioxidants and phytonutrients from fruit. It is considered a “super fruit” because it contains beta carotene, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, iron, folate, and fiber. Anthocyanins are the antioxidants which give it the red color and have anti-inflammatory properties. Smoothies like this help can also help balance your blood sugar, and control your appetite throughout the day. Try other nuts such as macadamia or pecans and feel free to use any milk such as coconut, almond, or a combo between the two.
- ½ c. plain unsweetened milk (almond, coconut, hazelnut)
- ½ c. water
- ¼ c.walnuts
- 1 T. flax seed oil
- 2 T. flax seeds, ground or whole*
- ½ c. cherries, frozen
- ½ t. vanilla
- 2-3 ice cubes
- Add water and milk to blender.
- Combine all other ingredients and place in blender.
- *Note: All nuts and seeds should be soaked prior to using them for easier digestion. Fill bowl with enough water to cover the seeds or nuts and soak for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.