Tomato, Buffalo Mozzarella and Basil Salad
This is a wonderful summer salad and can be made with or without cheese. Although the best tasting mozzarella cheese is from buffalo not cow. This cheese has a softer texture, is sweet and delicate and packed in water. In Italy it is called a caprese insalata. The salad is fresh, colorful, rich in antioxidants and vitamins C and A. This is one of a handful of recipes with dairy.
- 1½ lb. small tomatoes (red, yellow, purple)
- Course salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 t. fresh oregano or 1t. dried oregano
- 8 oz. buffalo mozzarella cheese (optional)
- ¼ c. basil leaves, torn
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- Slice tomatoes or if small cut in half and arrange on platter.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Slice cheese balls and layer over tomatoes.
- Arrange basil leaves over tomato mixture and let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over tomato mixture.